Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:08:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wea@llnl.gov
Subject:   Why panic when mounting bad CD?

I am running FreeBSD 4.3 with an HP 9500 ide CD-RW.

The CD-RW works fine and I have burned many CD's
with it. However, I mistakenly attempted to
mount a CD that I forgot to fixate. I got
a kernel panic. Fortunatly fsck was able to
repair the damage after a reboot.

My question is why does the kernel panic
under these conditions? Does it get lost
trying to find the disklabel or does the
kernel think that the numbers it picked
up are the disklabel and merrily goes
off into some other world looking for
the superblock?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a
magic number in with the disklabel
that the kernel could test against
before it believes what it finds?

I am just looking for understanding here,
no flames intended. :)

		Ed Alley
		wea@llnl.gov