Date:      Wed, 25 May 2016 14:43:51 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: slightly OT hardware question

On 05/25/16 11:46, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 25/05/2016 16:51, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> Does anyone onlist know of any small (RPi-ish), cheap boxen w/ 2 or more
>> working RJ45 ports (100 Mbit is OK), FreeBSD or NetBSD compatible ? I
>> would like to use them as a firewall & an asterisk box. I found Utilite,
>> kinda pricey, also Banana-Pi R1 (5 ports, however apparently wired
>> somewhat weirdly on the board, NetBSD networking doesn't work there last
>> I looked). Anyone got a little beastie like this working ? TIA & have a
>> good one.
>>
> I'm not sure how cheap you want, but in the past I've used boards from
> PC Engines as firewalls.
>
> http://www.pcengines.ch/
>
> My current firewall was built from a (now discontinued) Jetway mini ITX
> board with one ethernet if plus an added 4 ethernet if daughterboard.
> Some of the current Jetway boards might be worth looking at if they're
> not beyond your price limit. They tend to use Intel chips rather than
> Realtek, so perform better.

I was/am thinking along those lines, mini-ITX AMD SoC & small case, good
solution, but I kept getting up to the same $300.00 that a couple of
others mentioned, & started casting around for a hopefully
cheaper-but-still-functional RPi-ish solution. Thanks :-).

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.