Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:07:20 -0500
From:      "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pixel depths (was: Pls Help with a Netscape Challenge!)

Greg,

Thanks for the response.  To clarify, I never meant to imply that
Netscape nor KDE "control" color depth.  I setup my system so KDE runs
in 16 bit depth at 1024 X 768 resolution.  However, since I sent this
request for assistance, I've discovered (using xwininfo) that, in fact,
KDE is only in 8 bit depth.  This changes the question.

I've checked XF86Config, but there are so many different video modes in
that file, I don't feel confident changing anything until I know my
hardware capabilities. I thought my video card (Diamond 3D 2000, S3
Virge) had 1MB of VRAM.  Is there a program like xwininfo or xdpyinfo
that I can run in a terminal which will verify the amount of VRAM on my
video card?  I know that with 256K, 8 bit color is the maximum I can get
which may be the problem.

Just out of curiosity Greg, what kind of video card are you using?
That's a very impressive set of numbers.

Mark