Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 06:45:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au!dawes, ponds!freebsd.org!hackers
Subject:   Re: dup alloc panic

> >As Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >
> >>  With that in mind; I can say that I've only machines that
> >> have experienced this problem are 386s.  I don't have the where-with-all
> >> to put together a 486/586 that I can trash in this manner.
> >>
> >>  Also, this doesn't seem to jive with Joerg's similar problem when
> >> newfs's MFS file systems. [Joerg - was that even a 386 machine?]
> >
> >Yes, my scratch machine is a 386 one.  I can't remember i have
> >observed it somewhere else.
>
> I'm coming in on this thread a bit late, I hope the subject line is
> still valid.  I've had a dup alloc panic recently, with a RELENG_2_2
> kernel dating from a couple of weeks ago (Pentium, SCSI disk on an NCR
> controller).  It happened while re-populating a disk after doing a newfs.
> I ended up doing the newfs again (fsck had too much trouble), and
> repopulating (but in a different order).  It's been OK since.
>
> David

 Yes - that fits with the problem I'm trying to debug...

 However, it is an interesting data point; since this was on a Pentium.

 This problem has been around for quite some time, [I know I'm probably
 beginning to sound like a real whiner :-) ]

 I, just this second; experienced it again on my news server... it's most
aggravating.

	- Dave Rivers -