Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:02:28 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Alex Keahan <alex@hightemplar.com>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP:  ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

--Boundary-02=_Phc3A1BpPaKgVJs

On Saturday 26 June 2004 19:56, Alex Keahan wrote:
> On Saturday 26 Jun 2004 8:24 pm, Tim Robbins wrote:

> > The kernel's internal interfaces change; security bugs are discovered.
> > Someone has to keep the code up to date, and the people who end up doing
> > the work are *not* the people who advocate keeping the code around.
>
> That's a slippery slope and you don't want to go there.
>
> Maintenance of old code is the price you have to pay when you write new
> code. That includes kernel interfaces and security bugs.

I think you should start investigating how to best maintain the existing co=
de=20
outside of the source tree and bring it back as a port instead of trying to=
=20
provoke a bikeshed. It's not like like the code is going to be fed into a=20
digital shredder - in some ways, removing it from the src realm actually=20
makes it _more_ open for interested parties to contribute to.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org