Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:21:18 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Jean-S=c3=a9bastien_P=c3=a9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

--AuxVihNQsL3S3kBwTicr5oCu1jgnL3qEk

On 17/02/2016 16:07, Anil Gulati wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD-X11,

Hi!

> My thread on FreeBSD forums base system
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55054/ helped me establish that buyi=
ng
> an Intel NUC or System 76 with 5th Gen Broadwell Intel i3/i/5/i7 would =
be a
> no go for X11 on FreeBSD https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>=20
> Is it possible for me to contribute to the development and testing of
> driver support to get these chips working with the Intel HD Graphics 60=
00
> 6100 etc?

Thank you very much for offering your help!

I will send some instructions to get you started in a separate thread.

There is no specific criteria to contribute beside probably owning the
relevant hardware :) The only thing I ask is that contributors
communicate on what they are doing so people don't do the same thing in
parallel.

> Does this mean I can't even get console working on Skylake? I'm not sur=
e if
> Linux has support for Skylake yet either? Can I even install FreeBSD if=
> can't see console?

As other said, no VGA support means it won't have VGA output connectors.
I believe it will keep support for the VGA "API". You'll see the console
and you can use xf86-video-vesa or xf86-video-scfb to start an X server.

Linux has Skylake support, though I don't know how stable it is. This
landed in 4.3 I think (I could be wrong).

So, let's write some instructions now.

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron