Date:      28 Jan 2002 21:32:25 +0100
From:      arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suspected dying CD-writer ?

Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> writes:

> * Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com> [020123 14:24] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got an SCSI CD-Writer, which only gives errors when I try to use
> > cd-record (see full log at the end of the message)
> >
> > As the problem is identical on a fresh 4.4-Rel (with cd-record installed
> > from the CD as a binary package) and a recently updated 4.5-RC, there is
> > strong suspicion the drive itself is dying.
> >
> > can anyone decode the ASCII dump of the SCSI error message ?
> >
> > (I've also cleaned the optics, in case there was too much dust, but no
> > joy)
> >
> > time to buy a new Yamaha 2100S ?
>
> Try upgrading the firmware, this has fixed drives for me.
>
> -Alfred

glad to hear, but I suspect there's also a recent kernel change involved here:
I get exactly the same message when blanking CDRWs on two different recently
installed machines:

 1) a box running 4.5-RC FreeBSD 4.5-RC #0: Wed Jan 23 16:12:22 MET 2002;
    ran before: 4[.4]-STABLE from October (and cdrtools-1.10); blanking
    CDRWs did not give any problem.
    CD-burner installed: <YAMAHA CRW4416S 1.0f> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device

 2) a box running 4.5-RC FreeBSD 4.5-RC #0: Wed Jan 16 12:41:51 MET 2002;
    ran before: W-9x, no problems with burning;
    CD-burner installed: <TEAC CD-R55S 1.0F> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device

I first installed/upgraded both of them just after Xmas (and installed cdrtools-1.10_1 ...)
and both suddenly stopped being able to blank CDRWs, even worse, a CDRW burned
at a nearby W-9x box, cannot even be mounted (no such device ...)
Burning and mounting CDWs works fine (the first box is a very often
used laboratory's "free service" CD-writer).

NB. I do not have the VFS_something option in my kernelconfig which causes
conflicts with cdrtools-1.10_1 and SCSI-2 burners.

- Arno

--

  Arno J. Klaassen

  SCITO S.A.                   INSERM U483
  Le Grand Sablon              University Pierre et Marie Curie
  4, avenue de l'Obiou         9, quai Saint Bernard
  38700 La Tronche             75 252 Paris Cedex 5

  arno@ccr.jussieu.fr