Date:      21 Oct 2002 06:07:44 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: samba PDC for WIN2K clients?

--=-tZP4mN1ChAXMXzyjTI7d

Hi Andrew,
   Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried getting the machine account added to smbpasswd file, but this
fails:
# smbpasswd -m -n -a <winbox>
LDAPS option set...!
fetch_ldap_pw: no ldap secret retrieved!
ldap_connect_system: Failed to retrieve password for  from secrets.tdb
LDAPS option set...!
fetch_ldap_pw: no ldap secret retrieved!
ldap_connect_system: Failed to retrieve password for  from secrets.tdb
Failed to add entry for user <winbox$>.
Failed to modify password entry for user <winbox$>
#=20

Is the syntax for adding the account correct here? Thanks again, hope to
hear from you again soon.

Stacey

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 02:32, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,=20
> >      I've got 2 WIN2K Pro workstations on my home lan that I'd like to
> > enable network logon for. I've been banging my head against a wall for
> > the last four hours trying to get this sorted, but to no avail.=20
> >=20
> > I keep getting the same error when trying to enter the Domain name into
> > the "WORKGROUP" field in Win2K network properties:=20
> >=20
> > "The following error occured validating the name "my_domainname", This
> > condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For more information
> > about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems see the following
> > Microsoft blah., blah.., blah..,=20
> >=20
> > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".
>=20
> Have you added machine accounts to the FreeBSD box for the client boxes?
>=20
> You need machine accounts that look like clientname$ (dollar sign at=20
> end) added both as local accounts and then again with smbpasswd passing=20
> whatever the appropriate switch is to create a machine account.
>=20
> I have a FreeBSD box here acting as a PDC so we should be able to find=20
> the problem.
>=20
> Andrew.
>=20