Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:44:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        FSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pixel depths (was: Pls Help with a Netscape Challenge!)

On Sunday, 29 October 2000 at  0:07:20 -0500, Mark A. Hummel wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday, 28 October 2000 at 12:33:13 -0500, Mark Hummel wrote:
>>> I'm running FBSD 4.1.1R and Netscape 4.7 (USA).  KDE boots in 16 bit
>>> color, but Netscape runs in 8 bit.  How can I increase the color depth
>>> of Netscape?  Are there settings somewhere or perhaps a script (pls
>>> include if there is) I can insert somewhere?
>>
>> I think you're confused.  KDE and Netscape aren't responsible for
>> pixel depth, X is, and as far as I know most installations have only
>> one depth.  What does xdpyinfo say?  You should see something like:
>>
>> screen #0:
>>   dimensions:    1920x1440 pixels (403x302 millimeters)
>>   resolution:    121x121 dots per inch
>>   depths (1):    24
>
> Thanks for the response.  To clarify, I never meant to imply that
> Netscape nor KDE "control" color depth.  I setup my system so KDE runs
> in 16 bit depth at 1024 X 768 resolution.  However, since I sent this
> request for assistance, I've discovered (using xwininfo) that, in fact,
> KDE is only in 8 bit depth.  This changes the question.

Ah, that sounds more likely.

> I've checked XF86Config, but there are so many different video modes
> in that file, I don't feel confident changing anything until I know
> my hardware capabilities. I thought my video card (Diamond 3D 2000,
> S3 Virge) had 1MB of VRAM.  Is there a program like xwininfo or
> xdpyinfo that I can run in a terminal which will verify the amount
> of VRAM on my video card?  I know that with 256K, 8 bit color is the
> maximum I can get which may be the problem.

Well, you need a calculator.  Each pixel takes up as many bits as the
pixel depth, so at 8 bpp, you'd need 1024x768 bytes of storage.  At 16
bpp, you'd need twice as much (1.5 MB), so it looks as if you're stuck
with 8bpp unless you lower your maximum resolution to 800x600, or get
a card with more memory.

I've forgotten the tweaks to set the pixel depth in XF86Config for
3.x.  In 4.x, it's:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	24

This might also work in 3.x.

> Just out of curiosity Greg, what kind of video card are you using?
> That's a very impressive set of numbers.

That was from a Matrox Millennium G400.  In this particular setup, I
also have a Millennium II, a Millennium G200, and a Dell Inspiron
7500.  Take a look at http://www.lemis.com/~grog/hardware.html for
more details.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.