Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 18:03:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Richard Stallman came to town

> > What I saw was a short and hairy, almost unkempt, man who smiled lightly
> > when I made eye contact.  He was tired, presumably from an unknown number
> > of previous engagements, and slumped over the desk while waiting for the
> > room to fill.
>
> Heh, yes, RMS's personal appearance is quite legendary but that
> doesn't stop him from being an uncommonly effective and intelligent
> speaker when he wants to be.  If I had even a tenth of his skill at
> giving purely off-the-cuff presentations without slides, making each
> presentation sound fresh even though I'd done it hundreds of times,
> I'd be a very happy man.

Maybe you could turn your back to the audience, engage in primate
hair-grooming behaviour almost continuously, roll your eyes back
until only the whites show and tilt your head slightly back any
time anyone else is speaking, and claim that anyone who starts a
paid support service for a project for which public open source
will remain available and which would not exist in the first place
without them, (e.g. John Ouserhout) an "evil software hoarder bent
on the destruction of mankind", or words to that effect.

This is what he did at the last O'Reilly Open Source Forum.

I'm sure taking a page from that book would make you appear to be
an equally intelligent and uncommonly effective speaker.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.