Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 19:22:39 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Robin Lo <asailkat@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, adamlau@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: NAT questions

Port 138 is netbios stuff. Typical Micros~1 broadcast traffic. The
solution is to remove all the Windows-based machines from you network.
Barring that, I'd program your NAT box with a firewall that rejects or
drops those packets. Or you could just ignore it or program ipnat not to
complain about it. It's probably just the Micros~1 machines making sure
everyone else on the network knows they're there every 15 seconds or
whatever the default interval is. I believe on some of the Micros~1
boxes you can turn of "lanmanager annoucements" or other such broadcast
options to reduce this traffic.

-Bill