Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:13:08 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Alvaro Gil <Alvaro@AlvaroGil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silly question. How to install ports.

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:52:23 -0500  Alvaro Gil wrote:
 +------------------
 | I am having trouble installing ports.  I am trying to update apache
 | to 1.3.22. I downloaded the tarball and did a pkg_add
 | apacheblabla.tar.  it made a new group called www and quit.
 |
 | Is this how one usually installs ports?  How do you install a port in
 | the ports directory or if its not in a tarball?  I know this info is
 | online somewhere but I cannot seem to find it right now.
 |
 | Thanks.
 +------------------

If you are talking about a package tarball then what you did should have
worked.

If you are talking ports as in /usr/ports.  Then cd to the directory
containing the target and do "make install" as root. then sit back and
watch the ftp and compiler messages fly.

If you are talking about a package and you are running a -release
system then you might want to use the /stand/sysinstall application

    configure>>packages>>Install from an FTP server

If you are talking about a source tarball then

    gzcat blabal.tar.gz | ar -xvf -
    cd blabla
    ./configure
    make