Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:34:54 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Marcelo Carvalho <marcelomcarvalho@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Failing in compiling a copy of GENERIC kernel

Marcelo Carvalho wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         Last week I've updated my system to the latest
> version of FreeBSD-Stable. I have now FreeBSD 4.4-RC
> for fyi. I've followed all the steps in the handbook
> and I could have my system up and running smoothly.
>
>         However, I've decided to create a new config
> file to install my own kernel. The *only*
> modifications I did, for the moment, were to comment
> the lines
>
>         cpu "I386_CPU"
>         cpu "I486_CPU"
>         cpu "I586_CPU"
>
> and change the line "ident GENERIC" to "ident
> MYKERNEL". That's it.
>
>         After issuing the command "make" I got the
> following
> message:
>
> make: don't know how to make
> /usr/src/sys/modules/ipfilter/../../netinet/mlfk_ipl.c.
> Stop
>
> Question: How come can this happen if they're supposed
> to be the same? Is there anything to do with the
> mergemaster command that I've used during the previous
> installation of the new system? Is it running
> properly? Please, let me know what to do as soon as
> possible. Maybe this is an indication of a bug
> somewhere...

No, it is a sign that you have a crufty system. You need to clean
ipfilter out of the modules. It is now part of contrib. There should
be many messages on how to do that in the archive. If you have a
locate database, try locate ipfilter and rm -rf the directories that
are part of the modules.

Kent

> Thanks,
> Marcelo.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

It is hard to believe you are soaring with Eagles (las águilas)
when you accept SPAM like a mouse (el ratón).

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com