Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:05:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparz@cs.iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cvsup mirrors

Krzysztof Parzyszek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently noticed that cvsup*.freebsd.org can happen to have
> different contents. In particular I cvsupped all from (AFAIR) cvsup3 and
> it deleted rsa_eay.c. Repeated (in about 5 minutes) cvsup from cvsup5
> checked the file out again.
>
> Which cvsup server is the most accurate?
> Anyway, rsa_eay.c is a part of librsaINTL.a. How is it possible
> that it wasn't in the repository?

These appear to all be mirrors and mirrors are updated in their own
time. I don't think it matters which one you use as long as you stick
with one. If you are looking for a fix from cvs-all, capture the
changes to a log file and look for it. Switch sites and you could be
using a site that the cron job hasn't fired up and updated its source
yet.
Someone asked at one point in the past (it would be in the archives
about the time 4.1 was at rc1) and IIRC the report was something like
they all run once an hour. They didn't comment on what time during the
hour were the cron jobs running. The last time I checked my /ncvs was
around 1+GB and that is a lot of code to check up on. If there were a
lot of mirrors around the world, you could even schedule update times
to even out usage. You wouldn't want 40 or 50 sites checking cvs at
the same time.

I was thinking of doing my own release and set my server up to have a
mirror. It hasn't been updated for awhile and du of ncvs shows
788630  ncvs/src
1014951 ncvs

Kent

> --
>    , The  power .                                 Any sufficiently advan-
>   dP  to serve  7b    Krzysztof Parzyszek .---->  ced bug is indistingui-
>  (8b    ____    d8)   --------------------+---->  shable from a feature.
>   `88bo8FBSD8od88'    hektor@iname.com    `---->      -- Rich Kulawiec

Kent Stewart