Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:29:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        (Sergey V. Chemisov) <sysadm@ns.sirena.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE:

Hi,

quarter inch tapes are 0.25" (6.45mm) _tapes_ (not disks). I.e., they are used
for backup purposes because "random access" is slow (tapes have to be rewound
after each read!) Disks, however, can be read by repositioning the head to any
track on the disk.
Tape drives are often connected to floppy drive interfaces, which might have
been causing your confusion. The floppy drive controller is only used to
transfer the data from the CPU to the drive. Other tape drives are connected to
an SCSI bus or to the parallel port.

To copy a file from a floppy disk to a hard disk, you need to mount the floppy
by
        mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
(provided there is an empty directory /mnt)
if the disk has a ufs and is in drive A: Or use
        mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
if it's a FAT formatted disk.

Then you can cd to /mnt and copy files just like you're used to...

c u Jo

On 29-Apr-97 at 12:23:48 Sergey V. Chemisov wrote:
>               Good day!
>       What is a quarter-inch tapes? Is it a 3.5inch floppy disk?
>       How copy files from flppy disks to hard disk?

                       For a world of pedigree OSs
FreeBSD - top breeders recommend it            <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Joachim Kuebart                                      <joa@delos.lf.net>
Tel: +49 711 653706                          <joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>