Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:12:08 -0500
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Seorge <seorge@rostokgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something's happening with named

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 03:07:55PM +0200, Seorge wrote:
> May be somebody knows what's going on?
>=20
> Not the first time I face the following problem:
> While everything seems to work properly: sendmail, apache and so on
> the following string is displayed and none of the local network or
> Internet requests is answered.
> Restarting named is the only way to get it back to life.
> What could be the cause of this thing: attack or misconfiguration?
>=20
> Mar 26 11:29:11 nameoftheunix-server /kernel: pid 115 (named), uid 0: exi=
ted on signal 10 (core dumped)
>=20
> This event repeats from approximately twice a month with no systematic
> rule.
>=20

What version of bind are you running.  Have you upgraded since the bind
advisory was released in January?

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:18.bind.asc

If you are running a vulnerable server, it is possible that someone is
trying to root you with an exploit meant for a different OS, causing bind
to crash.

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org