Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:24:08 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wrong ssh upgraded

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 09:29:55PM -0400, Lord Raiden wrote:
> 	Hi all.  I got a problem.  Ran the install for openssh to
> 	upgrade it, well it didn't upgrade the right one.  I'm using
> /usr/sbin/sshd instead of what some others are using which is
> /usr/local/sbin/sshd.  The one that boots on my machines by default is
> /usr/sbin/sshd
>
> 	The one that was upgraded of course was the other
> one.  /usr/local/sbin/sshd  I'd like to if possible also upgrade the
> /usr/sbin/sshd one as well.

I posted one method and Jonathan Chen posted a better one. His is
this--in /etc/rc.conf add the line
sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd"

I found that for this to work, I first had to set sshd_enable=NO in
rc.conf (otherwise, the startup scripts will run  the /usr/sbin one.
Also, you'll see that you have a new file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
called sshd.sh.sample, change it sshd.sh

The other things have been mentioned, I believe--be sure that the
PrivilegeSeparation is set to yes, and change the default
ChallengeResponse yes to a no.  You may or may not (by the time I
tried Jonathan's method, I'd already made the directory, so don't know
if it'll complain otherwise) have to do a mkdir /var/empty

To replace the /usr/sbin (this was the way I did it at first, which
did work) you can simply copy over the /usr/local/sbin/sshd to
/usr/sbin/sshd--also copy the /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config to
/etc/ssh/
That will work. In that case, I guess you wouldn't have to mess with
your /etc/rc.conf but could let it start normally.

One thing--I did find, after using Jonathan's method that a which sshd
would still answer /usr/sbin/sshd. It also, when I did sshd -V give me
the old version number, even though a ps ax | grep sshd showed me that
the /usr/local/sbin one was the one that was running. When,
experimenting, I simply renamed the /usr/sbin/sshd it then gave me the
correct version number.

Hope this helps

Scott Robbins