Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 14:23:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        proff@iq.org (Julian Assange)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vulnerability in new pw suite

> The FreeBSD account administration pw suite is able to produce
> "random" passwords for new accounts. Due to the simplicity of the
> password generation algorithm involved, the passwords are easily
> predictable amid a particular range of possibilities. This range
> may be very narrow, depending on what sort of information is
> available to the attacker.

[ ... vunerability description elided ... ]

I've noticed a similar restriction on the search space is caused by
enforcing password length and use of particular values (digits,
control characters, and capitalization)

Once we add in "non-pronouncible" and "not in dictionary" and so on,
I think that eventually, in the interests of "security", users will
be forced to choose from a list of 10 or so "sufficiently safe"
passwords.

Of course, once that happens, we'll just publish the list... any
restriction on "allowed values" is an implicit restriction of the
search space a cracker is required to search, and makes cracking
just that much easier.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org