Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:01:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Jesus A. Mora" <jmora@hvm.sas.cica.es>
To:        "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        jmora@ahvm.hvm.sas.cica.es, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with my hard disk geometry?

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Ian P. Thomas wrote:

> 	FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS for drive geometry, it gets it from the
> disk.  Windows does use the BIOS.  If you have the root partition of
> FreeBSD installed before the 1024 cylinder, or roughly 8 GB in your case,
> then it should work fine.  You also need to make sure to install booteasy
> on the disk.  It will allow you to choose from Windows or FreeBSD at
> startup.
>
> Ian

In fact, it DID work -apparently- fine until I reinstalled Windows. Before
the reinstallation I booted FreeBSD up several times, customized the
kernel, installed a port for XFree86 4.1.0... and Windows began to behave
strangely (I mean, more than usual). Maybe it's only a coincidence.
Now, once reinstalled Windows, it works as expected... but  FreeBSD
refuses to boot, even though booteasy was reinstalled in the MBR.

Well, it seems to me a problem related to the geometry of the HD and to
those stupid limitations in the design of so many subsystems of the IBM
PC-derived computers.

So, I think I have two options:
1) repartition the HD, in order to relocate the FreeBSD slice on the first
 1024 cylinders. That's a nuisance since I should have to have two slices
 -and two logical drives and two directory hierarchies- for Win98.
2) install a second HD dedicated exclusively to FreeBSD. That's the way
 I have decided to go, since it guarantees me that no unexpected and
 obscure interactions between both OSes will occur.

So many thanks for the help, and see you again.