Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:07:30 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rethinking man page references in the Handbook

Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 02:50:57AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> >   The second problem is that we simply use &man.cmd.sec; entities =
too
>> > often.  There are many paragraphs that contain the same man entity =
4-5
>> > times which is very distracting.  These entities are very useful but=
>> > think that we should only use them them the first time that a =
command
>> > is mentioned in a section, and then markup the command in <command>
>> > for future references in that paragraph and following ones.
>>=20
>> What do you find distracting?  The number of links that are generated =
in
>> the HTML output, or the proliferation of parentheses?
>
>   Both.
>
>> If it's the former then that's some DSSSL that checks to see whether
>> there's been any other <citerefentry> elements to the same man page in
>> the outermost enclosing element (probably up to the <sect1> level) and
>> omits the link if there have been.
>>=20
>> If it's the latter then it's a probably a style issue.  Can you =
nominate
>> a sample paragraph that you think goes over the top?
>
>   Yep, how about this one :
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-program=
s.html
>  (top of page)
>
>   I think that most of the man entities here should be replaced with
><command>s.  Its distracting to read this section online or in print
>format.

ISWYM:  Viewing with IE5.5, man links are colored, underlined _and_ show =
the
section number in brackets.  I can switch off the underlining in the =
browser,
but I'd hope not to see underlined URLs etc. in the printed Handbook.  =
They
seem distracting in Mr. Mittelstaedt's book.

Perhaps the hyperlinked versions need nothing more than to be a link, =
with
the sektion number not shown.  I can't think of a better way to express a
manual reference in the printed (monochrome) target, than a bracketed =
number;
though the URL to which you refer is (hopefully) the most tedious case.

OTOH: Maybe a different type face for manable words would look cool, for
the printed version, if stated in the "Conventions used in this Book" =
section.

John.