Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2013 01:53:02 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Takuya ASADA <syuu@dokukino.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Adding Flow Director sysctls to ixgbe(4) (was: netmap: traffic distribution)

I don't care about whether there's a generic API right now. I'd rather see
it done as a staged thing, but _not_ sysctls.

Having sysctls to add/remove entries from things is just plain evil.

I'd rather instead come up with a device specific ioctl API for this for
now w/ a userland tool for each particular chip. Then once we all get a bit
more experience doing this, a unified API can be proposed.

-adrian