Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:32:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Howard Picken <howard@tasbusiness.net.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Repost: Internet Print Protocol

Howard Picken wrote:
> I now have to add a Win2K box on the network to handle internet printing
> from a couple
> of branches we have.
>
> Hence my question.  Which files do I need to change to allow external access
> to a specific
> internal IP address.

First, you'll need to know what TCP ports are required for printing. I don't
know what's needed for W2K, but I'm guessing it's the standard netbios ports,
look in /etc/services, I believe they're 139 & 135.
If you're doing address translation, you'll have to add static routes, read
"man natd" or "man ipnat" for information on how to do this (depending on
which one is configured to use)
If you're not doing nat, find out whether you're using ipfirewall or ipfw,
/etc/rc.conf should have configuration information to get you started.
Depending on which one you use, the steps will vary, so do a little research
and post again with more details if you get stuck. However, you should be
able to read through "man ipfw" or "man ipfilter" to get started.

-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the