Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 06:33:24 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        mav@wastegate.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, patrick@pwhsnet.com
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RELEASE to 4.4-STABLE

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:42:20 +0100
Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:29:51AM -0500, Doug Reynolds wrote:
> >
> > cvsup
> >
> > make buildworld
> > make kernel KERNCONF=yourkernelconf

Here's where I see a potential problem. From time to time, there are changes in GENERIC, and after a couple of failed builds, I now do the following.  Before doing cvsup I copy GENERIC to GENERIC.bak.  Afterwards, I'll do diff GENERIC GENERIC.bak and if there are changes, then I copy GENERIC over to my originally named SCOTT1 kernel and redo it.  (I'll also check any options I've added against LINT--for example, until recently dev pcm0 was fine, now, it seems one should add at isa? irqX drqX flags 0x0)

If the diff shows no changes after cvsup, I buildworld then check it again (not sure if that's necessary, but it only takes a few seconds). Assuming diff shows no changes, then I'll do the make buildkernel KERNCONF=SCOTT1

Did a cvsup tonight, actually, and there were a couple of minor changes since I last did it.

Hope this is of use--let me point out that I'm relatively new to FreeBSD and may perhaps be wasting people's time, but blithely ignoring the handbook's suggestions and skipping the build and install of GENERIC did cost me a copy of failed compilations.

Scott Robbins