Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:45:00 +1000
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do you turn on / install drivers? (Xircom PC-Card Ethernet)

At 5:25 PM -0700 17/10/1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, jesse reynolds wrote:
>
> > >I know that the xircom driver is now part of 3.3 Release, but it's
> > >not recognising either a CE2 or a CEM33. Might it be "disabled". Do I
> > >have to recompile the kernel or can I just adjust a kernel conf file?
> >
> > The kernel conf file in FreeBSD is equivalent to the .config file in
> > Redhat. The build of a kernel reads in to build a monolithic kernel.
>
>The kernel.conf file should be either in / or /boot afaik,
>you want to remove the "di <driver_name>" lines for the drivers you
>want to become re-enabled.

Right. Does di=disable? Hmmm. I see that xe is not in this file.

According to the XE driver readme, I should add the following lines
to kernel.conf:

controller      card0
device          pcic0   at card?
device          pcic1   at card?
device          xe0     at isa? port? net irq ?

after copying some c files into /sys/i386/isa and recompiling the
kernel... So, doesn't that mean I can't simply download a kld, put it
in the right place, and reboot?

ie, am I going to have to recompile my kernel?

cheers

jesse

--
       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au