Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:16:12 -0500
From:      David Brodbeck <dbrodbeck@ameritech.net>
To:        Pascal Giannakakis <capm@gmx.net>
Cc:        Andrea Franceschini <andrea.franceschini@postecom.it>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with SMC2602W wireless card

Pascal Giannakakis wrote:
> Now i got the SMC 2602W (the package says it is version 2 :/ ) which has
> a Admtek ADM8211 chip on it. BLOODY! I plugged in the card, and hey, of
> course it does NOT work. "pciconf -v -l":
>
> none1@pci0:8:0: class=0x028000 card=0x260210b8 chip=0x82011317 rev=0x11
> hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Admtek Inc'
>     class    = network
>
> Andrea's tip does not help here, as there is no information in
> pci_vendors what to add exactly in wi_if_pci.c.
>
> Well, who can help now? Where to go next?

I found a guy who is working on a driver for the Admtek ADM8211 wireless
chipset.  I've contacted him about my 2602W card, and he's going to try
to add it to his driver.  Apparently a lot of low-cost cards are using
this chipset now.  He said he was making progress on the driver but
couldn't give me a release date.

I think I'm going to wait and see what he comes up with.  Until then I
may throw the card in a spare computer and install Win98, a NIC, and
some kind of bridging software, as a temporary measure.