Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:07:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        fcash@bigfoot.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

> This may just be for Canadian French, but in my 13 years of study and
> use, I've never seen a space before a '?' or a '!' or any other
> punctuation mark.  I do find it very annoying how they use '---' (em-
> dash) or '>>' marks instead of quotations marks in novels.
>
> As for the different `opening and closing' marks, what was the point to
> those??  I always found them to be very annoying and to break the flow of
> the type.  ``just looks wrong''

'<<' and '>>' are left and right guillemot.  They differ from
quotation marks in their usage, in that one is usually used
to indicate text included from another source, and the other
conversation between characters in narrative text (i.e. one
quotes a source, the other the author).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---