Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:33:40 -0500
From:      "Orville Pike (technews)" <technews@giallarhorn.org>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Login message via SSH

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:35:45 -0600 (CST)
Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com> wrote:

> 	How do I remove this from the login screen when a user logs into
> the server via SSH?
>
> Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
>         The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> FreeBSD 4.4-20020115-STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Tue Jan 15 16:01:45 GMT 2002
>
> 	All I want them to see is the warning message saying this is a
> secure server that I have located in the MOTD file.  Not the above.
> Anyone got any ideas?  Thanks.

do the following as root touch  /etc/COPYRIGHT or remove the :copyright
line from your login.conf file.(not tested). This takes effect
immediately

from what i can tell when a user logs in the contents of the file
pointed to by ":copyright" is displayed. If the file is not there then
the regular copyright info along with kernel name is displayed.

the COPYRIGHT file seems like the perfect place to put the secured
server message you would like to display and leave motd for more
dynamic information