Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:54:43 -0700
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS append race (was Re: got bad cookie vp 0xe2e5ef80 bp 0xcf317328)

[Should have included this in my earlier mail, sorry.]

In addition to bad cookies, I also see the following messages very
frequently:

	NFS append race @0:954

They're issued in nfs/nfs_bio.c:

             /*
              * If dirtyend exceeds file size, chop it down.  This should
              * not normally occur but there is an append race where it
              * might occur XXX, so we log it.
              *
              * If the chopping creates a reverse-indexed or degenerate
              * situation with dirtyoff/end, we 0 both of them.
              */

              if (bp->b_dirtyend > bcount) {
                      printf("NFS append race @%lx:%d\n",
                          (long)bp->b_blkno * DEV_BSIZE,