Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:38:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        rnordier@nordier.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add a new bootdevice to the new boot code ???

It seems Robert Nordier wrote:
> OK, I'll add it to the bootblocks.
>
> Incidentally, while I'm in there and thinking about it, I'd quite
> like to fix the boot code to boot from LS-120 drives at the same
> time.  So if anyone has one of these, and wouldn't mind spending
> some time running a few bits of test code, I'd appreciate it.

I have a ZIP if that can help you ??

> > > However, I'd *still* expect it to pass a major# of 0 rather than
> > > 30.  Why?  Because a 2.0 kernel knows only 0.  And if a 5.0 kernel
> > > knows only 30, it is -- at least -- in a position to know what
> > > 0 meant, and simply substitute one for the other (under the
> > > influence of a kernel configuration option, if necessary).
> >
> > Hmm, wd should give 0 and ad should give 30, no AI please :)
>
> I wasn't actually thinking at all along the lines of "smart" code
> at all:
>
>     #ifdef FORCE_FOO
> 	if (foo == 0)
> 	    foo = 30;
>     #endif

Well, that breaks somewhere else, as the mount code is clever enough
to look at the name of the driver in this case "ad" which doesn't
match the specified #0 ie "wd".
I kindof tried this by having my driver put itself in both the
wd & ad majors in the table, but that doesn't work, because the mount
stuff gets confused on the root name somehow, and fails to mount
root because the names dont match...

> AFAICS, adopting the separate "wd" and "ad" route entails the
> following:
>
>     Update your bootblocks.
>     Add a /boot.config statement like "0:ad(0,a)" to make use
>     of the driver the default.
>     Failure to boot if you inadvertently specify wd out of habit,
>     or if you specify ad when booting an earlier system.
>
> So we're introducing three points with good potential for failure.

Well, what else can we do as long as we potentially need both
drivers in the kernel. I'm pretty sure that if I kill of wd.c
et all, there will be screams of bloody murder again...
been there done that :)

> In contrast, the kernel configuration route requires commenting
> or uncommenting a single statement.

But that doesn't work, at least as the mount code behaves now.

At any rate, any solution that makes it possible to boot with
a new driver without me having to call it "wd" something all
over the place is acceptable to me...

-Søren