Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 18:19:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Some questions

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > 	I bought it for $29.95, how does the DNS and Bind differ from
> > their TCP/IP book?
>
> Well, the DNS and Bind book talks about DNS and Bind, and the TCP/IP book
> covers lots of things, starting with the protocols & working up from
> there.  From the blurb I have here, the latter doesn't cover the DNS in
> any great depth.

	I know but the later book does seem to cover the DNS pretty well...

> > 	I know what you mean but isn't there anyway to configure SLiRP so
> > that it will default to a certain ip address for ppp/slip for each user
> > so that they can't be using someone else's address?
>
> You still don't understand. 8(  Let's try to draw a picture so that you
> comprehend...

	I do understand but you didn't get what I was saying... PPP on the
client machine will ask the server which is SLiRP for the ip address so
SLiRP for each user needs to have some kind of config file so that it won't
be using the wrong ip address that someone else is supposed to use...

>  OS/2 Warp, Winsock, etc installed on user's machine.  Configured for some
>  totally irrelevant address.
>
>  SLiRP runs on *nix machine.  Receives packet from user's machine.
>  Makes note of originating IP address, processes packet contents and
>  fakes the connection going out _from_the_*nix_system_.
>  Receives packets addressed to the *nix machine relevant to operations
>  it's performing on behalf of the user's system.  Processes them, wraps
>  the results up in a new packet addressed to the same IP address it
>  made a note of above, and sends it to the user.
>
>  User's system receives a packet addressed to it, coming (allegedly) from
>  the 'real' remote host, and is happy.
>
> Clearer yet?

	I know what you mean but even with my current ppp connection on
my FreeBSD boxm it asks the remote for my ip address so SLiRP will need
to have a config file for each user so it doesn't use the wrong address...

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center