Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:48:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stephen Brandi <melomel@vuae.pair.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network fails with IPDIVERT IPFIREWALL enabled.

I have been having a problem that has been baffling me. I have a freebsd
4.1 machine running natd and a totally open firewall (temporarily). When I
boot with kernel.GENERIC networking (local net and cable modem to
internet) work fine, but no routing happens (as expected). When I boot
with my custom kernel with options IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL enabled, I am
unable to use either network interface. I can't even ping localhost.
I ran a diff on GENERIC and MYKERNEL and these were the only differences.

Gateway, natd, and firewall are enabled in rc.conf

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing my all networking to
die with my firewall enabled kernel? I have gotten this working in the
past, but did a re-install at one point after a hardware failure. I feel
like I'm forgetting something obvious.

Steve Brandi