Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:24:45 +0100
From:      Manuel Kasper <manuelk@bluewin.ch>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware monitoring on Compaq servers

At 06:42 20.11.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Look in /usr/ports/sysutils. There's healthd and heat (at the very
>least).

Thanks for the tip! Both packages do not support that Compaq mainboard;
however I expected that (why do they always have do things in their own
special way...). But it's good to know the next time I use a "better"
mainboard with FreeBSD.

>You might ask compaq if the source is available. You can also try
>running the drivers under Linux compatability mode.

Unfortunately the Compaq drivers are loaded as kernel modules in Linux. I
guess they can't be loaded in FreeBSD then since they're no user
applications - or is there a way to do it? They consist of three modules
(cpqeisaid.o, cpqhealth.o and cpqrom.o) which are loaded by a small shell
script using insmod/modprobe.

Anyway, I'll go looking for an address at Compaq to ask for the source. Who
knows, maybe they'll help... ;)

Thanks & greets,

Manuel