Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:25:39 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LPR<foo> in base or as package? [Was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? -  License Issues]

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
>
> > > Then how about we rip LPR from the base system and let people install the
> > > printing system they need from ports?
> >
> > Yay! I think this is the correct approach for most software
> > that isn't universally needed and for which 2 or more
> > competing versions exist.
>
> I disagree very strongly.  This goes directly in the face of
> friendliness.  Assume that *some* folks (and I say that
> tongue-in-cheek) are actually not gurus when they install FreeBSD ... they
> want (and very rightly expect) that a good assortment of default utilities
> exist so that they can take advantage of the capabilities of a good
> OS.

You conveniently snipped the most important bit of my
message: my sysinstall mods[1] that make installing LPR
easy.

If you are going to argue, please address all the
points, including the sysinstall mods (which you didn't
even look add, I might add). If you think a sysinstall
knob isn't sufficient, let me know why but don't ignore
the proposal and don't pull my quotes out of context.
Thank you.

Now on with the discussion:

> I'm not saying we bundle everything, but I *am* saying that there are
> a minimum of utils that should NOT be divorced.  Print is very definitely
> one of these.

Why lpr and not Samba? Or more generally, what *objective*
metric do you use to choose what goes in the base system
and what not?

I assume*d* that we'll never find a satisfying answer to
that question (I'd like to be proven wrong however) so I
propose to give the user complete control over what he
installs[2]. Hence my proposal and the following questions:

Why isn't a sysinstall knob sufficient to install the
LPR of choice? Such a knob seems to work fine for X
and the various desktops (KDE, GNOME, WindowMaker)[3].

What if the choice only applied to a 'custom' install?
I.e. other install options (standard, express) have an
LPR installed by default. Would this address your
concerns? If not, why not?

Note that having LPR as a package has an added benefit
in that it allows one to easily set up a system without
any lpr at all. Happens to be ideal for *all* 20 machines
over here. I suspect I'm not the only one to whom that
applies...

Another benefit is that packages can be updated independent
from the base system. If that is inconvenient we can hook
the package update into the buildworld process. The other
way around doesn't really work.

I'm trying hard to not sacrifice user convenience. Hell, I
even modified sysinstall which is not very pleasant...

Cheers,
Jeroen

[1] http://jeroen.vangelderen.org/FreeBSD/sysinstall.tar.gz
[2] Whatever form that may take. The sysinstall hack is just
    a quick prototype.
[3] Which, one might argue, are much more important for
    a user-friendly system than, say, LPR. At least for a
    subset of our userbase.
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)