Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:14:53 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        "David J. MacKenzie" <djm@web.us.uu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pam_setcred confusion

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 01:32:50PM -0500, David J. MacKenzie wrote:
> A note about my PAM patches: the FreeBSD man page for pam_setcred says:
>
>        This  function  is  used to establish, maintain and delete
>        the credentials of a user. It should  be  called  after  a
>        user has been authenticated and before a session is opened
>                                        ^^^^^^
>        for the user (with pam_open_session(3)).
>
> The Solaris 8 man page for pam_setcred says:
>
>      The pam_setcred() function is used to establish, modify,  or
>      delete  user  credentials.  It is typically called after the
>      user has been authenticated and after  a  session  has  been
>                                      ^^^^^
>      opened.   See  pam_authenticate(3PAM),  pam_acct_mgmt(3PAM),
>      and pam_open_session(3PAM).
>
> Notice that they disagree on the order of the PAM calls.
> When I wrote my patches I was referencing the Solaris documentation.
> Perhaps the order doesn't matter, in practice.
> If it does, then the order of pam_open_session() and pam_setcred()
> calls may need to be reversed.

The FreeBSD PAM is based on Linux-PAM.  If you do ultimately find out
that this is a problem, please drop the Linux-PAM authors a line,
also.

Also see my post to this list earlier this week about the fact that
pam_setcred does not seem to work (at least in the Linux-PAM -- and
therefore FreeBSD -- implementation).

--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org