Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:32:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation completeness??

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Jeremy Sigmon wrote:

> I had a failed install of 2.2-alpha and I want to determine what else
> needs to be done to get a working machine.
> So I can use it as a test machine to free up a machine with a ATAPI
> CROM so I can test that. (whew)
>
> I had a signal 11 failure (posted to bugs)

That isn't nice.  Does it do this all the time, starting fresh each time?
Where does it crash?

This generally indicates faulty memory or processor cache, or can be
related to a software problem.

> in the EHS I see a kernel.GENERIC
> do I just need to copy this to kernel to get the machine to boot?

No.  You must install other distributions, notably /bin, and set up the
disk with slices and a disklabel.

> what else might I need to do to get a functional machine?
> (ie what else would the install normally do?  and where would I find
>  this information?)

Find out why it's sig11'ing.  It shouldn't do that.