Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:27:39 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        zarizibsd@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: gateway related problem

* Muhammad Zarizi <zarizibsd@yahoo.com> [20001106 10:39]:
=>hi, i have some gateway related problems in setting up
=>the FreeBSD 4.1-R server. But first i want to inform
=>that my network topology are shown as below:
=>
=>clients --> my server (192.168.1.1[internal] &
=>202.185.45.79 [external])as gateway to ---> ISP
=>gateway (202.185.98.14) ----> internet

Is 202.185.45.79 your static address given to you by your ISP?
Does your /etc/rc.conf have a like saying
defaultrouter="202.185.98.14"
How do you connect to your ISP? Dialup? DSL?

=>
=>i'm using two network cards (rl0-internal &
=>rl1-external) for the server and the network seems to
=>be working. my clients also could access the internet
=>but not my server.

I am assuming that your ext card is configured with the IP from your ISP?

=>i've tried to ping outside the
=>internet and it's still shown the connection was not
=>succeed.

Give us the answers above first ;)

=>i've also add some route to the ISP gateway
=>.. and using netstat -rn to monitor the route
=>address...

Where did you add that??? How??

=>
=>if my server is configured as a gateway, why it cannot
=>access the internet? , in fact the clients will still
=>be online if i were to shutdown the server
=>(192.168.1.1)... can some one please explain this to
=>me?
=>

Let me have a look at your rc.conf please I think this is a small problem
I can help...

=>one more, i could not telnet the server when i want to
=>do some remote administrating .... i've checked and

Yes...seems you have so many issues pal but we start from /etc/rc.conf
then we can proceed to /etc/hosts.allow and maybe inetd.conf ..

=>edited the hosts.allow and /etc/hosts but still could
=>telnet it ... can someone show me the right arguments?
=>

So lets us hear from you...
DISCLAIMER: I am not a guru. I only use the list as a resource for sharing
info.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
-Beverly Sills