Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:56:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      <joup@bigfoot.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   formatting a slice for msdos

Hi

When I installed FreeBSD for the first time I set aside a slice for use
with windows, thinking I'd set up a dual boot system.  As it turns out
after about three months I'm finding decidedly little to miss about
windows, but I'd like to use that space, preferably as a FAT partition,
"just in case."

I'm a little new to disk formatting and partitioning w/ BSD, so I'm not
sure what information to include here.  Also, I'm a little unclear on the
nomenclature-- I'm assuming "slice" == "partition", but the whole
disklabel concept is a tad confusing.

What I understand about my setup is that I have 3 primary slices: the boot
manager in the zeroth one, the FAT fs in the first (dev/ad0s1), and
FreeBSD native (165) in the second (/dev/ad0s2).  Currently, I'm using
slice 2 exclusively:

%more /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cd             cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd1c              /cdr            cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

The problem is that I screwed up at some point, and slice 1 has a
filesystem on it, but I'm not sure what type.  It turns out that I somehow
installed a seperate kernel on slice 1 in january, and that it has its own
partitions.  However, the data there is not important and I can certainly
live without it.

What I'd like is to have a FAT slice here, with only 1 partition,
primarily for storing MP3s and such.  I tried "newfs_msdos /dev/ad0s1",
but that gave me:

/dev/ad0s1: 3062336 sectors in 382792 FAT32 clusters (4096 bytes/cluster)
bps=512 spc=8 res=32 nft=2 mid=0xf8 spt=63 hds=255 hid=63 bsec=3068352
bspf=2991 rdcl=2 infs=1 bkbs=2
newfs_msdos: /dev/ad0s1: Read-only file system

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

PS- I tried to subscribe to this mailing list a few weeks ago, and
majordomo said that I had to be authorized by someone before I could join.
Any ideas why this would happen?