Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:56:46 +0100
From:      Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
Cc:        Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd box acting as a wavelan BS (Yes it can)

Jim,

Jim Flowers wrote:

> The 6.04 firmware does, indeed, allow establishing a network with an ISA
> card in a FreeBSD box, however, when doing the PCCard upgrade with a Windows
> machine it requires the drivers to be upgraded to 4.01 first and if you want
> to talk to it with the IEEE/Wave Manager Client update it, as well.
> Everything seems to be backward compatible (ad-hoc, Infrastructure,
> WaveManageer/Client, Manager.
>
> The good news is that it works farily well and will setup a network netname,
> with the procedure you indicated.  You can also move away from the default
> frequency in either direction and the remote stations will follow it so the
> beacons must work.  Works with multiple clients (simultaneously) but the
> cache (-C) only reports levels on a single remote.  Haven't tried multiple
> throughput tests yet.  Statistics (-o) don't show any values but these are
> on 4.1-STABLE #0 and maybe that is the same problem reported by Theo
> Pagtzis.

thanks for checking it out. I tried to print a single statistic from the
wavelan card
after experiencing the 0ed wi_counters from within the kernel (device_print)...

for some reason once I did that the machine...rebooted...(not beneignly :)

Could someone point me on info about kernel debugging?

Do I get the impression that there is something wrong with the interrupt
assigned to
the card. Jim mentioned that it is probably best to have the interrupt assigned
to the
card isolated (at least that was my impression from what Jim mentioned as
grandfathering)

Also in some of the new fbsd boxes (4.1 stable + KAME snap) we have here
the wavelan card although detected when inserted (which is a pccardd function)
it keeps giving a "no such card in database". The card is in the database of
pccard.conf,

I use interrupt 9 which is not in use by another device. Can anyone understand
the dumpcis
info from the pccardc request? I dunno if that helps in understanding the
problem as I cannot
understand what it means..(at least a good part of it..)

Any hints?

Theo