Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 1998 21:22:03 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crimping SCSI cables

Joel Ray Holveck writes:
> I am using an AHA-1542C host adapter.  This adapter, I am told, is
> very sensitive to cabling problems.  I need a SCSI cable with all 8
> connectors, but haven't seen any in what I would consider a reasonable
> price range (most are >$80 or so).  Does anybody know if I should
> expect a problem if I crimp my own?

I have not observed my 1542CF was all that sensitive to cabling. Your
1542C? Not CF? Not "Fast"? Then at 5 MHz SCSI bus speed it would be
comparably immune to lots of the nasty stuff that bites others. "Active
Termination" cures lots of ills.

I make my own cables all the time. Keep meaning to buy the special tool,
as even the stamped steel made-in-China $30 cheapie tool works better
than a cast iron vice. And its easier to carry around.  :-)

Use wood blocks in the vice, you don't want the vice's teeth biting
into your plastic connector.

Generally there is a triangle on the insulation-displacement connector
(IDC) indicating where pin 1 is. Triangle goes nearest the red stripe
on your cable. Actually it doesn't matter as long as you do the same
thing everywhere along the cable.

Some IDC connectors have a keying tab in the middle on one side. That's
a good thing, look for it when you buy. As long as all your connectors
are on the cable right, that tab will/should prevent you from
connecting the cable to your devices wrong.

I have purchased ribbon cable which was (no longer?) the correct width,
it was too narrow. If your cable isn't the right width then the
penetrations from the IDC will not straddle the wires. Not only will
some connections not make, other wires will short. Spend plenty of time
verifying each and every wire in the cable is aligned with the sharp
things in the connector. Generally the backing plastic has a grove for
each ribbon wire too. The Really Good IDC connectors have an adhesive
strip in the plastic backing plate. "Stick" your cable to the backing
and get it aligned there first, then the alignment with the sharp metal
points goes much easier.

Apply a little force to load the connector and cable so they don't
move. Then check alignment one last time before clamping down with
force.

Doesn't it sound awful? All this for $2 connectors and $1/foot cable.
Pre-built cables are often $3 to $5 (cheaper than I can buy the parts).
The problem is, I can make my own internal SCSI cable that fits
exactly, rather than make do with pre-built cables.