Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:46:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        John Resnier <john_resnier@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Policy routing using IPFW for multiple ISP's

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> > > That's the problem, it won't. When the packet hit the 'fwd' rule above,
> > > it is accepted by the firewall and queued up on rl0. It doesn't continue
> > > through or start again through the rules with the new interface.
> >
> >  Did this change?  I swear this used to work at one time.
> >  Either way he can still use:
> >
> >  fwd 199.185.xx.xx tcp from any to 66.25.xx.0/24 80 out recv fxp0 xmit ed0
> >
> >  I believe that should work.
>
> This made me think. I don't think this used to work, but you should be
> able to do this now.
>
> In the past, you could only 'fwd' outgoing packets. That won't work here
> since once the packets hit the 'fwd' they are out of the firewall rules,
> out the speficied interface, and on the wire before they can ever be
> processed by a natd(8) handling packets crossing the other interface.
>
> But now that we can use 'fwd' on incoming packets, you should be able
> to do this. However, you'd need to change the above rule to,
>
>   fwd 199.185.xx.xx tcp from any to 66.25.xx.0/24 80 in via fxp0
>
> Now, the packets are routed out the other interface _AND_ go through the
> ipfw(8) rules on that interface. That means that they will go to the
> natd(8) watching the other interface.

	Haven't tried this technique since it's been added.  I do know,
	however, that the 'out recv fxp0 xmit ed0' thing DOES work as I
	have been using that for a while to interoperate with a squid
	proxy box.  I'll look at the 'in via fxp0' fwd stuff to see if it
	works and report my findings.

	Cheers,

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
- WARNING TO ALL PERSONNEL:
   Firings will continue until morale improves.