Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 01:04:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Cassiel <cassiel@dis.org>
Cc:        stanb@panix.com, Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Are 3C509B's no longer in the install kernel!

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Cassiel wrote:

> At 07:54 PM 11/11/00 -0500, stanb@panix.com wrote:
> >         I have been installing via ftp using 3COM 3C509B's (ISA) for a very
> >         long time.
> >
> >         Grabed the 4.1-RELEAS disks, and the don't seem to be in the
> > kernel any
> >         more! Am I looking at this cross eyed? If not, how can I manage
> > to get
> >         FreeBSD installed on a machine with one of thes, if it does not
> > have a
> >         CD?
>
>     Keep going . . . Why this is could be heard from whoever did the
> rewrite of such, or someone who has actually Looked at the current
> proceedure intead of just running it, but I have seen 3C509s not be in the
> list since the arrival of 4.0, and the install---and resulting networking
> capablility---work just fine . . .

To put it clearly, the ep driver (for the 3C509) is no longer an option
but on by default and it'll work without you doing anything. Don't ask me
why it was done or why it's apparently not documented in the release
notes.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/