Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:40:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Val P <secureplay@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd bridging and failover

Is there a way to implement a failover in a bridge? Basically I'd like to keep two
filtering bridges on the network at the same time, one primary and one backup.
However, since freebsd bridging doesn't support STP, I can't do that without creating
a loop. Is there something (like the vrrp implementation but for bridges) that I can use?

Theoretically I can interconnect the two bridges over a serial port and write some sort
of heartbeat application, but I'd rather have a solution that has already been tested.
Also, my simplistic solution would cause existing connections to be disconnected
during the failover.