Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:17:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        mike <mikenoc@mindspring.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba issues

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, mike wrote:

>  I didnt have an IP for frogger.nuggie.net. So I added an IP
> the one I use for my NIC to /etc/hosts. After doing that and rebooting I get
> the following error
>
> frogger# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh
>  Samba
> /var: write failed, file system is full
>
>  I installed it using /usr/ports

/var is obviously full.

Look at /var/crash. If you've ever crashed, you have a system
image there that's very big.

Also, check /var/mail for huge mailboxes.

Suggestion: if you have another slice that is larger, make a "mail"
directory there, do a cp -R of the mail in /var/mail to it and then
symlink the new directory to /var/mail.

You did the right thing putting the entry in /etc/hosts. My experience
has been that Sambe will *not* run if it can't do a nameserver lookup
on it's host.

-Jim Durham