Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:50:59 -0500
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        "BSD Freak" <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: installworld in multi user mode (was The next best thing to single user mode)

> I need to remotely (via SSH) perform a "make installworld" on
> some servers. Is it possible to have SSH running in single user
> mode or is there something as safe as single user mode that
> will let me do the installworld remotely....
Single user mode is not required, but recommended.  Now, here's the party
line:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html#MAKEWORLD-SINGLEUSER

"...reinstalling the system will touch a lot of important system files, all
the standard system binaries, libraries, include files and so on. Changing
these on a running system (particularly if you have active users on the
system at the time) is asking for trouble."

It talks about the "running system" and "active users".  So, get as many of
your users to log off as possible (or choose a time when few are on) and
shut down as many services as possible (kill if necessary).  In other words,
try to get your system to approximate single user mode as closely as
possible.  I haven't had problems with this technique and I've been doing it
for over a year.

Jon