Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:06:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dorr <chris@townnews.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /etc/groups

I ran into a strange one this morning.

I added a user to our system for an FTP account, but when I tried to
change permissions on his account I got an illegal group name.

And when I tried to restart one of our apache servers, I got a bad group
name also.

So I went into /etc/groups and took 2 people out of that particular group
and everything was working again with no problems.

Obviously there is a limit to how many people can be in one group.  What's
the limit?  Is there anyway around the group limit, without redoing the
whole system?

On this particular system we're running 2.2.5 Release.

Any ideas out there??

## Chris Dorr
## International Newspaper Network
## 800-579-6397