Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:07:19 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   flush?

When I use dump to make a backup, I noticed that a very large file (several
G), which had just been moved off the partition (several seconds before),
seems to have been backup-ed by dump after all. Or, I should say, its size
seems to be added to the dump-file, making my backup of that partition
several G larger than it should be.

This must be some sort of caching problem, as I already saw this once
before, on using df, where df, for a while thereafter, still shows the size
of a partition occupied after deleting a large file, only to drop back to
its normal indication a few seconds later.

Or it could be that dump, while the file has already been deleted, just
grows extra large because of all those blocks that have been used. :(

Is there a way I can flush this cache, so dump will only use files that
actually still exist?

Thanks.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org