Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:52:17 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Kirk R.Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 - >4.6 stable, lost users and passwords

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirk R.Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 4:54 PM
Subject: 4.5 - >4.6 stable, lost users and passwords

>I just did the whole cvsup, make world, mergemaster thing... So far as I
can
>tell, all of my user files in ~/ are there (single user workstation), but I
>my username is not recognized, and I can't su to root. If I login as root,
no
>password is required. I'm not at the machine in question right now, but as
>am writing this it seems as if the password file is gone (I may have messed
>up with mergemaster).

Sounds near definite.  This happened to me recently.
I hope you have a backup of /etc handy.  Near as I
can tell, I got confused as to which file was 'temp'
and which the 'current..."  Took about 2 hours that
should have gone elsewhere.  If you can login as
any user, you're better off than I was.  I happened
to have several copies of /etc lying around however.

>Any ideas as to recovery?

Get console!!

#boot -s
#fsck -p
#mount -t ufs /dev/yourdisksliceforroot  /
#mount -t ufs /dev/yourdisksliceforusr  /usr
#mount -t ufs /dev/yourdisksliceforvar  /var

Since you're in single user mode, path
will probably not be set, so mount may
equal /sbin/mount  and fsck may be
/sbin/fsck, & c.