Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:15:45 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shells confusion

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:01:14AM -0500, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
> On Friday 25 January 2002 10:56 pm, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:18:16AM +0200, Bernie wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > i'm planning to learn shell programming but i'm not sure
> > > on which one to choose...
> > >
> > > i've been reading in the 'FreeBSD unleashed' that people
> > > wanting to do shell programming should stay away from
> > > c-shell as it's realy good for interactive, but very bad
> > > for scripts. is this true?
> >
> > Yes and Yes.
>
> I would not agree with this at all.  I find csh much more readable/sensible
> than /bin/sh for interactive use.  i

(I guess you mean this the other way around, that you think cshell is
superior for scripting as well..otherwise the rest of your mail does
not make a lot of sense.)

> Spaces don't matter; if statements are
> vastly more readable, etc.

You are in a very, very tiny minority if you think csh is superior for
shell scripting. It may be "better" from some theoretical point of
view, but from a practical point of view it is a nightmare for most
people.

From the point of view of the person's general Unix education I would
tell him that cshell scripting is a backwater, and is never likely to
be any other way. It is a dodo.

But let's not argue about it.
I have worked in many different Unix environments, often where the
majority of people used tcsh for interactive use. I don't recall
any of them regarding it as a serious contender for writing
general scripts in.

--
Regards
Cliff