Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 98 18:06:00 PST
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert Glover <rob@f-body.org>
Subject:   RE: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

Jordan writes:
> > Has there been any progress on supporting Token Ring in FreeBSD yet?
 I'm

> No, and I doubt that there ever will be.  Token ring is far too dead
> for anyone to want to start such a project now, not that they showed
> much inclination to do so even when token ring was less dead than it
> is now, and if your MIS department really wants to wait a year to
> switch to ethernet then I can only pity you. :)

But...but...but...

Token Ring is the most expensive, slowest networking protocol on the
planet(*).  Why wouldn't a slick, fast OS like FreeBSD support it?

Realistically speaking, aren't there bridges that can translate
Token Ring to Ethernet?  If you're installing FreeBSD, it's stupid
not to use Ethernet.  The h/w is cheap and the OS support is solid.

The other 99% of the computers on your LAN are the anomaly, not
the ethernetted FreeBSD box.

(*) SneakerNet is slower, but costs less.  :-)

 -- Adam.