Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 12:02:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing FTP thruput.

Gary Palmer writes:
> > I noticed the same thing when I upgraded from the iijppp that came
> > with 2.1.0-RELEASE to the -stable version (the -RELEASE version had a
> > habit of hanging up during long transfers, the -stable one doesn't
> > seem to).  Ftp rates dropped...
>
> Weird. I've been running iijppp for over a year now, and have been
> upgrading regularly, and on a 28k8 I can get 5k/sec (text) download
> relatively easily (with the latest version in -stable). I wonder if
> this has to do with the box you are talking to?

That seems *really* slow.  I'm getting 3.6K/sec on compressed files, and
11K-14K/sec on text files with my 28.8K SLIP connection with modem HW
compression turned on.  I get a consistant 3.4K/sec using kernel-PPP
w/our Internet connection with all kinds of files, and often get much
higher throughput with compressable files as well, though it's hard to
measure it directly given the status of the Internet as of late.

Nate